Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Munsell Maps in the Studio


Here is my Munsell A Frame.
Made with pegboard - perfect
fit for the syringe tips to fit into.
They are all organized according to
the Munsell BigBook. Each has tape
the end with it's correct notation.
This is on wheels so it's easy to bring
close to the easel and push out of the way
when not needed.


Thought I'd better show the
palette in use. This was for part of
Arizona Oranges (wish now I could
change the background color on that one!)


Munsell A Frame from the end.
Great space for storage!

Entering my studio - you can
see the syringes peeking out
from behind the door.

This is my Munsell Palette.
Drawn on grey card stock and
placed under glass. Neutrals are
along the far left/right sides: N/9-1
Across the top are hue notations and
below each is space for at least 3 chroma
notations. Area in the middle is used for
mixing, medium dish, etc. It was the only
way I could figure out how to stay organized
and know what colors I was using.

No more paintings for awhile, instead, here are some of my 'munsell maps' that I've designed to help me better organize and utilize the Munsell Color Space in my studio. Even though I've spent a year studying, mixing, tubing paint and getting the general principles, there is so much to learn and understand.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Very interesting that I should run across your blog. The use of syringes as a measuring and storage device is excellent. I did check and learned from my pharmacist that I would have to order them online. Do you have sources that you could post here in response to my question: Where is there a source for these, and what size did you wind up using? I would like to implement this, too.
    Thanks,
    Dick

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Dick, I just saw your comment about syringes. I get mine from AirTite - 20ml Norm-Ject is what I prefer. Don't forget to order caps. (You must have a Sales Tax# to order from their site.)

    ReplyDelete